Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Morning of delivery

Today will be a blessed day. Not only is it the day of our starting to bring Baby Lake into the world, it is the anniversary of my maternal grandparents. I know their spirit of love is watching and with us today. Not to mention all the support we have received from family and friends. This baby is going to be knocked over with love from one coast to another and everywhere in between.
We start up at 7 am with my first cervical check to see if I'm dilated at all. With the baby being early at 34 weeks, my cervix may not be doing anything. If it's 2 cm then that's a great sign as per doc. If not we start talking meds. They are not recommending the walking, squatting, and upright mobility that Maleia has been trained to do through her classes due to infection risk. There are a lot of things that are standing in the way of that natural delivery I have been hoping for, but so many supports for a medically backed delivery. Safety is our #1 priority and the past few days have really brought that to the forefront. I have no doubt that the combination of the 2 methods are going to bring us the strongest baby possible. It may not be the birth we had wanted at the time we wished; but it is the one we are given and it will be the right one.
The baby will have a whole team of it's own white coats (5-6 docs, nurses, respiratory therapists) waiting right there in the room for it to make its grand debut. S/he will be skirted down to the NICU rather quickly for evaluations, breathing support, and any intervention needed. I'll hopefully get to hold him/her before going, but Daddy Doug will be there the whole time until I get there as long as I'm stable. That will be hard for me, but I know the baby couldn't be in better hands as I have been supported by that same loving person for over 6 years now. He has been incredible and the baby and I are so lucky.
We will be posting as we can and we can't wait to share our new little one with you!
Thank you for all your support!
Maleia

8 comments:

  1. The three of you will be in our thoughts and prayers all day today - can't wait to meet my new niecphew! We love you guys!! I know you are lucky to have a "Lake husband" - they are pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of love and hugs from Hays!!! Just reading your note brought back lots of memories of our delivery of Jenna when my water broke at 35 weeks....and flash forward 4 years as I took her to preschool this morning. ;-) She and her 17 classmates are praying for you on their prayer list today. - Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts, prayers. and energy are with you, Doug and Baby Lake. May this be one of the most fulfilling, rewarding, and memorable days of your lives. Love -Susan & Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you Maleia!! I said lots of prayers for you last night and I will be thinking of you all day today. I can't wait to hear "It's a Boy!" or "It's a Girl!" Love - Jill and Al

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maddie and Quinn said a special prayer for you last night. Quinn is especially empathetic because he relates to being in the NICU when he was born (like he remembers!) Quinn is really hoping for a boy (he feels all my friends have girls:)). We’ll be thinking about you, Doug, and the baby today…



    All our love. Ann, Quinn, Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maleia, I am praying for you and the baby. I was thinking of you all day. Claire Randazzo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maleia and Doug and Baby - Everyone at the clinic is thinking of you today. We keep hitting refresh to see if there is any new news on the blog!! I am sure that you aren't checking this if you are in labor :) but in the rare chance that you do, know that we are all sending you lots of love and energy and good support.

    Love from - Melanee, Karen, Sarah, Janis, Jill (and I am sure that everyone else who isn't here today sends their love too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read your blog-you probably already have met your babe, but I still wanted you to know I'm thinking of you. Davis was in the NICU for 5 days-they will take great care of him/her. I can't wait to see your next update!
    Juliane

    ReplyDelete